||0.15 [Nicola Salmoria]
0.05 [Nicola Salmoria, Robert Anschuetz]
- The backround sound during gameplay is slow by about a factor of 2. dropdeadhippie (ID 00443)
LEVELS: 255 (endless)
- 16th April 2011: Mr. Do - Thanks to Zorg for getting in contact with Etienne over at Dragon's Lair Fans. He scanned and vectored the Italian version of the Namco Galaxian bezel.
- 17th December 2010: Smitdogg - Darran dumped a bunch of early 80's bootlegs from New Zealand, mostly Galaxian and Galaga bootlegs and hacks.
- 12th December 2010: Smitdogg - Darran dumped an alt version of Galaxian Part X.
- 0.135: Luigi30 changed references to galaxiaj in game names to galaxiana. Changed description of clones 'Super Galaxians (galaxiaj hack)' to 'Super Galaxians (galaxiana hack)' and 'Space Invaders Galactica (galaxiaj hack)' to 'Space Invaders Galactica (galaxiana hack)'. Fixed unable to use normal coin slots (coin lockout) in clone Kamakazi III (superg hack).
- 0.133u3: Galaxian sound updates [Couriersud]: Moon Cresta and Galaxian now have their respective schematics emulated, i.e. Moon Cresta has a slightly different mixing stage. Cleaned up driver, added some section titles and comments, removed old code. Removed emu_timer, this was causing a stream of stream_updates only updating 3 samples. Replaced with discrete timer module DSS_TIMER now. Use DISCRETE_NOTE for pitch generation; it is more accurate (within the one ms where the pitch changes) and saves a node. Use DISCRETE_BITS_DECODE and save 2 nodes.
- 0.133u2: Created discrete sound emulation for galaxian [Couriersud]: Changed all audio related AM_WRITE to AM_DEV_WRITE. Moved discrete sound related pieces such as initialization into audio/galaxian.h. Split some memory maps into sound related and not sound related parts. Added possibility in discrete.h to select hardware (galaxian/moon cresta) at compile time. This leads to slightly different volume levels. Hit sound (explosion) has been hacked to increase volume. Currently, we can not accurately model the switch/opamp filter circuit. Rewrote timer code so that the pitch timer is only used when it produces audible results. Brian Troha fixed Kamakazi III's dipswitch setting (the same as superg) and relabeled it a superg hack. Also the dipswitch setting for the Taito license was the same as superg so I eliminated one. Changed description of clone 'Kamakazi III' to 'Kamakazi III (superg hack)'.
- 0.133u1: Darran added clone Kamakazi III. hap switched Galaxian LFO sound to use the long-disabled NEW_LFO. It's not entirely fixed, but it's closer. Renamed (galaxiaj) to (galaxiana), (galmidw) to (galaxianm), (galmidwo) to (galaxianmo) and (galtaito) to (galaxiant).
- 6th June 2009: Smitdogg - Thanks to Darran we got Kamakazi III!
- 0.124u1: Changed Moon Alien Part 2 (moonal2), Moon Alien Part 2 (older version) (moonal2b) and Super GX (supergx) to Galaxian clones. Changed visible area to 224x768 and palettesize to 32 colors. Changed description of clones 'Galaxian (Midway)' to 'Galaxian (Midway set 1)', 'Galaxian (Midway, old rev)' to 'Galaxian (Midway set 2)', 'Super Galaxians' to 'Super Galaxians (galaxiaj hack)', 'Galaxian Part X' to 'Galaxian Part X (moonaln hack)', 'Space Invaders Galactica' to 'Space Invaders Galactica (galaxiaj hack)', 'Galaxian Part 4' to 'Galaxian Part 4 (hack)', 'Galaxian Turbo' to 'Galaxian Turbo (superg hack)', 'Swarm (hack of Galaxian)' to 'Swarm (bootleg?)' and 'Star Fighter (bootleg of Galaxian)' to 'Star Fighter'.
- 0.123u1: Stefan Lindberg added clone Galaxian (Taito).
- 0.119: David Haywood added clone Galaxian (bootleg). Changed description of clones 'Swarm' to 'Swarm (hack of Galaxian)' and 'Star Fighter' to 'Star Fighter (bootleg of Galaxian)'.
- 11th February 2007: Mr. Do - We have a bezel for Galaxian.
- 0.111u1: Atari Ace fixed 'Galaxian Test ROM' by adding extra ram (0xfffc, 0xffff).
- 2nd October 2006: f205v dumped Galaxian (bootleg).
- 0.104u8: Pierpaolo Prazzoli added clone Star Fighter.
- 19th March 2006: f205v dumped Star Fighter (Jeutel 1979).
- 0.88: MASH added clone Super GX.
- 0.85u1: Added 2nd player and dipswitches 'Cabinet', 'Service Mode' and 'Coinage'.
- 0.74u2: Mike O'Malley added 'Galaxian Test ROM' (19??) for region cpu1 ($0).
- 30th September 2003: Mike O'Malley submitted an addition of Space Invaders and Galaxian test ROMs.
- 0.68: David Haywood added clone Moon Alien.
- 25th April 2003: David Haywood added Moon Alien to the Galaxian driver.
- 12th December 2002: Zsolt Vasvari fixed the graphics in Galaxian that broke with the previous changes.
- 0.59: Added clone Galaxian (Midway, old rev). Added 'Unused SW 0-3' dipswitch.
- 0.55: Fixed starfield isn't moving in Galaxian.
- 1st June 2001: Zsolt Vasvari fixed the Galaxian / Scramble starfield graphics emulation.
- 0.37b12: New filtering code for the audio mixer. It is applied to audio streams generated at a sampling rate different from the sound card's one, improving quality. Some examples with a very audible difference are Galaxian.
- 0.37b11: Added clone Galaxian (Namco set 2). Changed parent description to 'Galaxian (Namco set 1)'. Removed Galaxian (bootleg).
- 0.37b3: Zsolt Vasvari added clone Zero Time (Petaco S.A. 1979).
- 23rd May 2000: Zsolt Vasvari added Zero Time to the driver.
- 26th February 2000: Michael Soderstrom fixed some Galaxian memory handling bugs.
- 12th December 1999: Quench fixed Galaxian and clones from crashing when run without sound.
- 0.36b11: Lee Taylor added clone Swarm (hack 1979). Juergen Buchmueller and Tatsuyuki Satoh improved emulation of the Galaxians sound subsystem. Samples are no longer used.
- 22nd November 1999: Lee Taylor added a Galaxian clone called Swarm and four Space Invaders clones.
- 31st May 1999: Zsolt Vasvari made the Galaxian/Scramble hardware games multi-session friendly.
- 29th April 1999: Nicola tweaked the Galaxian tone generator to fix the coin inserted sound.
- 0.35b9: Nicola Salmoria fixed the Galaxian-style starfield. Believe it or not, it had been broken since day 1.
- 0.35b7: Splitted 4k and 10k roms into 2k in Galaxian (Namco) and clones Space Invaders Galactica and Galaxian Part 4. Removed clone Galaxian (Namco, modified). Changed description of clone 'Galaxians (bootleg)' to 'Galaxian (bootleg)'.
- 0.35b5: Zsolt Vasvari added clone Galaxians (bootleg).
- 26th February 1999: Zsolt Vasvari has added several clones (for Smash TV, Galaxian, Rampage, Satan's Hollow, Bosconian).
- 0.35b2: Nicola Salmoria fixed (?) the title in clone Galaxian Part X.
- 10th January 1999: Malcor dumped Galaxian (Taito).
- 6th January 1999: Malcor dumped Super GX.
- 0.34b1: Added color prom galaxian.clr.
- 0.33b7: Changed description of clone 'Moon Alien Part 2 (alternate)' to 'Moon Alien Part 2 (older version)'.
- 0.33b5: Al Kossow added clones Moon Alien Part 2 (Nichibutsu 1980) and (alternate). Attempt at making the main Galaxian / Moon Cresta sound channel more accurate [Nicola Salmoria]. Known issues: Sound is not completely emulated.
- 0.31: Known issues: Bullet placement is not correct in cocktail mode. Changed description of clone 'Galaxian Part 1' to 'Space Invaders Galactica' and clone 'Super Galaxian' to 'Super Galaxians'.
- 13th April 1998: Malcor dumped Moon Alien Part 2 (older version).
- 0.29: Andrew Scott improved the Galaxian background hum, it also is no longer incorrectly played in Moon Cresta & others. In some games (e.g. Pacman, Galaxian, Rally X) the NumLock and CapsLock leds emulate the 1 Player/2 Players start lamps [Sean Gugler].
- 0.27: Andrew Scott and Robert R. Anschuetz II improved sound support in Galaxian and clones. The background noise is now emulated, while the shoot noise still requires a sample. These changes also affect other games using the same sound routines.
- 0.26a: Mirko Buffoni worked with the wrong source, now everything is back to normality in Galaxian.
- 0.25: Robert Anschuetz provided infos about how to enable a shot sample with Moon Quasar, Moon Cresta, Galaxian and clones.
- 0.18: Nicola Salmoria added some lousy noise to Galaxian.
- 0.15: Nicola Salmoria added Galaxian (Namco). This version is known to be original, it has Namco copyright and the code is slightly different from the other Galaxian (which has Midway copyright). Renamed (galaxian) to (galmidw).
- 0.14: Nicola Salmoria added high score saving to Galaxian.
- 0.06: Star background in Galaxians & co [Nicola Salmoria]. The way I calculate it is probably not correct, anyway it looks reasonable.
- 0.05: Nicola Salmoria added 'Galaxian (Midway)' (Midway 1979) and clones Galaxian (Namco, modified), Super Galaxian, Galaxian Part X, Galaxian Part 1, Galaxian Part 4 and Galaxian Turbo. Game is playable with accurate colors and limited sound. Control: Arrows = Move around, CTRL = Fire and F2 = Test mode. There are so many clones here that I'm not even sure which is the "original" one. The dip switch menu might display wrong settings. Compiled from information provided by friends and Uncles on RGVAC. Info on Galaxians taken from Arcade Emulator by Robert Anschuetz. Known issues: Only one sound channel is emulated, and I'm not sure it's correct. No star background. What does dip switch 6 do?
- 4th January 1997: Malcor dumped Galaxian Part 4 (hack).
Recommended Games (Galaxian):
- FB Alpha
4 Fun in 1 (Galaxian)
Namco Classic Collection Vol.1 (Galaga)
Tenkomori Shooting (Galaga)
Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga - 20th Anniversary Class of 1981 Reunion
Pac-Man - 25th Anniversary Edition (Galaga)
Ghostmuncher Galaxian (bootleg)
Cosmo Gang the Video
Romset: 15 kb / 8 files / 9.92 zip
||Zero Time (c) 1979 PETACO (Proyectos Electromecanicos de Tanteo y Color).
- TECHNICAL -
Main CPU : Z80 (@ 3.072 Mhz)
Sound Chips : Tone generator and discrete circuits
Screen orientation : Vertical
Video resolution : 224 x 256 pixels
Screen refresh : 60.61 Hz
Palette colors : 98
Players : 2
Control : 2-way joystick
Buttons : 1
- TRIVIA -
Spanish bootleg of "Galaxian".
Original releases :
Namco's Galaxian (October 1979)
Licensed releases :
Midway's Galaxian [Upright model] [No. 866] (December 1979)
Midway's Galaxian [Cocktail Table model] [No. 869] (December 1979)
Nichibutsu's Moon Alien [Upright model]
Nichibutsu's Moon Alien [Cocktail Table model]
Unofficial releases :
CGI's Galaxian Part 4
Galaxian Part X
Space Invaders Galactica
Zaccaria's Super Galaxians
PETACO's Zero Time
- SCORING -
Blue Galaxian : 30 points in formation, 60 points in flight
Purple Galaxian : 40 points in formation, 80 points in flight
Red Galaxian : 50 points in formation, 100 points in flight
Flagship : 60 points in formation, 150 points in flight
Flagship : 200 points in flight with one escort
Flagship : 300 points in flight with two escorts, Flagship killed before both escorts
Flagship : 800 points in flight with two escorts, Flagship killed after both escorts
- SOURCES -
Edit this entry at Arcade-History.com: http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=zero-time&page=detail&id=3247&o=2